As Summer officially sets in, it’s essential to pay special attention to our eye health. Along with warmer weather, Summer brings along longer days, outdoor activities, and increased exposure to sunlight, making it imperative to prioritise caring for your eyes. Here are three crucial tips to ensure your eyes stay healthy and happy during the sunny season.
1. Shield Your Eyes from the Sun
The sun emits harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays that can pose significant risks to your eyes. Prolonged exposure to UV rays can lead to various eye conditions such as cataracts, macular degeneration, and even temporary sun blindness.
How to Protect Your Eyes:
- Wear Sunglasses: Invest in high-quality sunglasses that offer 100% UV protection. Look for sunglasses labeled UV400 or ones that explicitly mention blocking both UVA and UVB rays.
- Choose the Right Style: Opt for sunglasses with larger frames or wrap-around styles that cover a larger area around your eyes, providing better protection.
- Add a Hat: Complement your sunglasses with a wide-brimmed hat for added shade and protection for your eyes.
2. Stay Hydrated for Eye Moisture
Hot weather, increased outdoor activities and even air conditioning can lead to dehydration, affecting not only your body but also your eyes. Dehydration can cause dry eyes, irritation and blurred vision, making it crucial to maintain adequate hydration levels.
Tips to Keep Your Eyes Moist:
- Drink Plenty of Water: Ensure you stay well-hydrated throughout the day, especially when spending time outdoors or in air-conditioned environments.
- Use Eye Drops: Consider using lubricating eye drops to alleviate dryness and maintain moisture in your eyes. Eye drops often contain ingredients that soothe irritation and reduce inflammation, providing relief and allowing the eyes to recover. Excessive itching and rubbing of the eyes from dehydration can potentially lead to eye damage and complications such as damage to the cornea or increased risk of infection. Consult with an eye care professional to choose the most suitable eye drops for your needs.
3. Practice Proper Eye Care Habits
Amidst Summer fun, it’s easy to overlook routine eye care habits. However, simple practices can go a long way in preserving your eye health.
Essential Eye Care Habits:
- Take Breaks from Screens: Reduce eye strain by following the 20-20-20 rule: every 20 minutes look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds when using digital devices. Implementing this rule may help you avoid eye strain.
- Regular Eye Exams: Schedule regular check-ups with an eye care professional, especially if you notice any changes in your vision or experience discomfort.
- Clean Your Hands: Prevent eye infections by regularly washing your hands, especially before touching your eyes or handling contact lenses.
By incorporating these tips into your Summer routine, you’ll not only enjoy the season to the fullest but also safeguard your sight. Remember, proactive care is the key to ensuring your eyes remain healthy and strong throughout the year.